The industrial revolution may have been fired by coal, but it was powered by steam. Humans have been harnessing the power of steam for thousands of years, but it is only in the past 200 years that we have started to rely on it for countless industrial applications. This course looks at the origins of steam, its theory (thermodynamics), generation and applications.
You will learn:
- Why we use steam instead of other energy fluids.
- The history of steam in engineering.
- Heat fundamentals (thermodynamics, latent heat, sensible heat etc.).
- Heat transfer (conduction, convection and radiation etc.).
- Combustion theory (efficiency, heat values etc.).
- Steam properties (wet, dry, saturated, enthalpy etc.).
- Boilers (designs, advantages, disadvantages etc.).
- And a lot more!
Irrespective of your engineering background, learning about steam will greatly benefit your career. Steam systems are used at almost every industrial facility on the planet, so you can apply everything you learn in this course to real world situations.
This course is taught by an ex-marine engineer with 17 years experience...you're in good hands!
Interactive 3D models have been used to show you the fire tube and water tube boiler designs in great detail.
2D images have been used to clarify complicated topics.
Quiz questions have been added so you can test your knowledge!
The course includes links to an App and PDFs to help you consolidate what you have learnt.
So, what are you waiting for?
Hope to see you on the course!
This is a non-video (NV) course. Please check for the associated video course if you prefer this method of learning.
- Thermodynamic Fundamentals
- Water to Steam
- Thermodynamic Laws
- Sensible and Latent Heat
- Transferring Heat
- Heat Units
- Specific Heat
- Thermodynamic Quiz
- Combustion Chemical Reaction
- Combustion Requirements
- Perfect, Complete and Incomplete
- Primary, Secondary and Excess Air
- Combustion Efficiency
- Thermal Efficiency
- Heat Value / Calorific Value
- Combustion Quiz
- Steam Properties
- Ideal Gas Law
- Saturated and Superheated Steam
- Dry and Wet Steam
- Dryness Fraction
- Clean Steam
- Steam Tables
- Steam Properties Quiz
- Purpose of a Boiler
- Fired and Un-Fired
- Fire Tube and Water Tube
- Water and Fire Tube Boilers Compared
- Electric Boilers
- Package and Field Erected Boilers
- Boilers Quiz
- Final Thoughts
- Final Quiz
- Units of Measurement
- How Fire Tube Boilers Work
- How Water Tube Boilers Work
- How Deaerators Work
- Interactive 3D Models
- Course PDF Handbook
- Offline Quiz Booklet
- Engineering Apps