Cooling towers are a common site at many industrial plants, commercial buildings and public buildings. Skyscrapers, hospitals, office buildings, power stations, oil and gas plants, refineries, all need cooling towers. Irrespective of what engineering industry you work in, knowing a bit about cooling towers will always serve you well.
In this course, you will learn:
- Cooling tower theory (sensible and latent heat etc.).
- Common cooling tower nomenclature, components and terminology.
- Common types of cooling tower (natural, forced and induced).
- Common cooling tower designs (wet, dry, cross-flow, counter-flow, mechanical, natural, direct, indirect).
- How cooling towers work (evaporative cooling etc.).
- Common cooling tower and HVAC fan designs (axial, cross-flow, centrifugal etc.).
- Water properties and their importance (pH, temperature etc.).
- Common cooling tower concerns and problems (corrosion, scale, bacterial growth etc.).
- Common methods used to address these concerns and problems (chemical treatment etc.).
- Cooling tower protection (vibration, earthquake etc.).
The course is designed to take you from zero to hero concerning cooling tower knowledge. Even if you already have some background engineering knowledge, this course will serve as an efficient refresher. Whatever your level of understanding, or engineering background (HVAC, power engineering, oil and gas, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering etc.), we can guarantee you will have never taken an engineering course like this one (unless you have taken one of our other courses...).
Interactive 3D models are used to show you each individual cooling tower component and several different cooling tower designs.
The course is packed with 2D images and high-quality written content. Written content has been read aloud so that you can 'learn on the go' without needing to watch the screen constantly.
Enjoy the course!
- Introduction to Cooling Towers
- Cooling Tower Introduction
- Cooling Tower Purpose
- Cooling Tower Terminology
- Cycles of Concentration
- Practical Interpretation of COC
- Latent and Sensible Heat
- Evaporative Cooling
- Dry and Wet Bulb Temperature FREE PREVIEW
- Relative Humidity FREE PREVIEW
- Stack Effect FREE PREVIEW
- Useful Cooling Tower Equations
- Cooling Tower Components
- Introduction to Cooling Towers Quiz
- How Cooling Towers Work
- Common Cooling Tower Designs
- Forced Draft Cooling Towers
- Induced Draft Counter Flow
- Induced Draft Cross Flow
- Natural Convection Cooling Towers
- Natural Draft Counter Flow
- Natural Draft Cross Flow
- Useful Tower Component Notes
- Cooling Tower Designs Quiz
- Cooling Tower Fans
- Axial Fans FREE PREVIEW
- Centrifugal Fans
- Cross-Flow Fans
- Cooling Tower Fans Quiz
- Course Summary Thus Far
- Water Properties FREE PREVIEW
- Water Properties Quiz
- Cooling Tower Concerns
- Uneven Water Loading FREE PREVIEW
- Wall Water
- In-Adequate Water Distribution
- Microbiological Activity
- Cooling Tower Concerns Quiz
- Tower Water Treatment
- Water Modelling
- Green Chemical Programs
- Filtration FREE PREVIEW
- Chemical Free
- Water Reuse
- Tower Protection
- Tower Fire Risk
- Tower Environmental Risks
- Tower Collapse
- Tower Water Treatment Quiz
- Final Thoughts
- Final Quiz
- Interactive 3D Models
- Offline Quiz Booklet