Internal combustion (IC) engines are not only used in the automotive engineering and automobile engineering industries. They are used to rotate pumps, generator rotors, fans and many other machines. But what are internal combustion engines? Why do we use petrol/gasoline and diesel fuels instead of just one type of fuel? And how do these astounding machines work? This course will answer all of these questions and many more!
In this course, you will learn:
- How petrol and diesel engines work.
- How internal combustion (IC) engines work.
- How two stroke engines work.
- How four stroke engines work.
- What the differences between petrol/gasoline and diesel engines are.
- Identify all of an engine's main components and their function (crankshaft, piston, camshaft etc.).
Irrespective of your background, learning about internal combustion engines will benefit you greatly. They are used as prime movers in cars, vans, trains, motorbikes, scooters, lawnmowers, leaf blowers and many other machines. So even if you are not an engineer, or training to become one, the knowledge you gain will always be useful, because a combustion engine is never far away!
This course is taught by an engineer with 17 years experience...you're in good hands!
Interactive 3D models have been used to show you every engine component in detail.
3D animations show how each engine and component works.
2D images have been used to highlight areas of interest.
Hope to see you on the course!
- How Two Stroke Engines Work
- How Four Stroke Engines Work
- Petrol vs Diesel
- Lubrication Oil System
- Fuel System
- Air and Exhaust Systems
- Cooling Water Systems
- Cylinder Sleeve
- Electrical System (Part 1)
- Electrical System (Part 2)
- Final Thoughts
- Final Quiz
- Interactive 3D Models
- Offline Quiz Booklet
- Engineering Apps
- 3D Model - Engine Components and Terminology
- 3D Model - Four Stroke Internal Combustion (IC) Engine
- 3D Model - Four Stroke Combustion Engine in Operation
- 3D Model - Four Stroke Engine Cycle (Animated)
- 3D Model - Automobile Turbocharger
- 3D Model - Engine Cylinder Cross Section
- 3D Model - Two Stroke Engine Cycle
- 3D Model - Two Stroke Engine Scavenging Types
- 3D Model - Engine Crankshaft
- 3D Model - Engine Valve
- 3D Model - Engine Rockerarm
- 3D Model - Engine Pushrod
- 3D Model - Engine Piston Rings
- 3D Model - Engine Oil Sump
- 3D Model - Engine Cylinder Block
- Engine Parts, Components and Terminology Explained